IKEA and Sledding

Sunday, January 23rd -

Today a momentous occasion occurred - my first trip to IKEA!  In keeping with the chronological order, however, I'll start with brunch.

This Sunday, I went to V-Dala's brunch with Elaine and Thomas instead of GH Nation's brunch.  They opened a bit late (11-12 minutes), so there was a huge line outside the door, but once they opened the doors they had their act together.  Another very satisfying Sunday brunch.  Elaine and Thomas said that last semester V-Dala was consistently better than GH for brunch; I'd say so far this semester they are on equal footing.  The 10 kronor discount that V-Dala students get on V-Dala's Sunday brunch is a reason to join V-Dala, however.

Afterwards, I went to IKEA!  IKEA is a gigantic store, the largest I've ever been to, and they carry practically everything, except most groceries (you can buy a few items such as meatballs there).  They even had the chair that Shams said I should buy back when I was in Ohio.  I didn't buy it because I have no need for it here, plus it would have been really awkward to try to take back on the bus with everything else I was buying.  Instead I bought improved bedding, dining utensils, a rubbish bin, a dozen and a third hangars, and some hand towels.  Almost too much to take back easily on the bus, but not quite.  IKEA itself was impressive, though.  The store is laid out similar to a labyrinth - there's really only one way through, so you see everything, which probably is part of the reason that people tend to end up buying more than they anticipated when they go to IKEA.  I was already planning to buy a decent amount, which probably is why I bought about as much as I anticipated.  Pretty much anything you could want, you can buy.  Plants, check.  Lumber, check.  Nice soft quilts, check.  Stuffed animals of various sizes, check.  Hot dogs at the cafe past the checkout for low prices, check (one member of my party ate three, as he'd skipped lunch).  Larger meals at the restaurang upstairs, check.  Definitely worth a visit, and I'll have to see if the one back home is similar to the one here upon my return.

Once we returned to Flogsta, we decided to go sledding.  There is a big hill behind the Flogsta apartments, and someone had left an old mattress there for sledding purposes.  Many people had already been sledding, so the hill was well-iced along the sledding path and had very little friction - all the better!  Trying to get all four people on the sled at once didn't really work, and we settled upon one-person-at-a-time, headfirst being the best combination for quickly traversing the hill - all the better becomes it seems even faster when you are six inches from the ground.  No serious injuries occurred, and the sledding was a success!

I also happened upon the Uppsala Koncert and Kongress building, where classical concerts are held in Uppsala (pictured above).  They've quite a few concerts, but amongst the performers I recognized Philip Glass, who will be performing before I leave in late May.  Provided my finances aren't in shambles then I hope to attend, and will be looking at the schedule more carefully to see if there may be other concerts I'd like to attend as well.

1 comment:

  1. Uppsala concert hall is one of the ugliest buildings in the world, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete