The Flogsta Kitchen

It may be of interest to potential Uppsala students to know more about the buildings themselves.  I basically looked at a summary of each potential and made a decision in about 10 minutes.  It worked out well enough, but some people may prefer other buildings.  Or prefer a building closer to their classes (reminder to myself to make a post with a map of classes and residences, once I learn where more residences are).  Today I'll include some pictures of the kitchen.

This is the kitchen as viewed to the left from the entrance.  Twelve people share the kitchen, but the two stoves are usually enough to keep up with demand.  Everyone has two cabinets, one above and one of the half-height ones below (the full-height ones contain communal skillets, pots, and other cooking utensils.  The two drawers in the middle contain small cooking utensils (paring knives, butcher knives, etc.), and dining utensils.  The spices and anything on top of the oven fans (such as the olive oil) are free for anyone to use.  The logic is that most people don't use a whole jar of one spice in a semester, so why not share it?  Not visible in this picture is the second drying rack.

 Here we see the dining area.  The table comfortably seats seven, and you can fit in a few more than that on special occasions.  Included on the windowsill, in addition to the plant, are some KPMG playing cards, which are entirely in Swedish.  On the bulletin board are pictures of past residents.  There is a box in the common room with pictures of residents dating back to the '70s, and a select few are present on the bulletin board in the kitchen.  In most cases the picture features a silly action of some sort, although not always - one is up there purely because the person in it radiates '80's-ness.  There is a sole picture with a current resident in it.  Often present on the table, but not in this picture, is the Guestbook.  It's actually a resident book.  Started around 2003, it includes a page for each resident who decided to make an entry, telling what they studied, what their favorite food was, where they lived, and a few more things, in Swedish.  Two current residents have already made entries, and I found the entry for the Spanish exchange student who lived in my room a few semesters back fairly easily.  It was kind of neat to look through even though I couldn't understand a whole lot, but probably will be more so in the future with a greater knowledge of Swedish.

 And looking back.  Here we see that the other side of the table has a couch rather than chairs.  I actually find the chairs more comfortable, as they are a better height for the table, but the couch is not bad either.  The microwave is dial-based, which I hadn't been used to but I know is common at American colleges that provide microwaves for resident students.  There are three refrigerators, shared amongst four people each.  The third one is...

 ... in the common room!  The common room is directly across the hallway from the kitchen.  Three refrigerators just didn't fit in the kitchen.  If you go out the door in the picture, you go onto the balcony.  I've gone out there a few times to take in the view, but it's been too cold to go out there a lot.  To the left of that door (but inside) is another door that leads to the freezers.  There are two freezers for the hall.

There are enough communal utensils that you really don't need to purchase your own.  I was fine the first week before I got to IKEA and bought some, but even then I didn't buy a whole lot.  Buying your own plates is a good idea as there aren't that many communal plates, and you'll need your own containers for leftovers.  Otherwise, though, the custom of leaving cutlery and utensils for future residents has left a good stock.  Occasionally they're a bit old - we have two of the heaviest skillets I've ever lifted, probably real cast iron - but they tend to do the job fairly well.

I should note that the kitchen condition as well as inventory may differ significantly in different corridors within Flogsta.  The kitchen in my corridor tends to be fairly clean, but I've heard that isn't the case in some other corridors.  The general layout and stock of large appliances should be more or less the same, though.

5 comments:

  1. Andrew, loved this. Lived ai Flogsta in 1984/5, friend sent me this link at it brought back lots of happy memories - although i don't remember the fridge in the common room or having any freezers - we just used the balcony to store cold things! Hope you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Great blog! I have a question, next year I will be studying in Uppsala. And the university offers me a room in Flogsta, the room is 631. How is the distribution of the corridor? I mean, if the room 631 is next to (or not) the kitchen or the common area. Can you tell me? I'm afraid of the noise and the parties... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! 631 would be next to the common area. I've uploaded a sketch of a Flogsta floor plan here: https://bf265683-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/jonesandrewd/Flogsta.png

      I was in room 442, which was right next to the kitchen. In my corridor it wasn't bad, but I was lucky to have a pretty quiet corridor. There definitely are party corridors... you'd have to try to find someone who currently lives in the building to know if that particular corridor is quiet or not.

      I don't know how they are doing it this year, but when I was there, some exchange students were able to get housing at other places in Uppsala through the university, so it might be worth asking (some of them are also closer to parts of the university - Flogsta is pretty far away from the science-y buildings). However, there's a housing shortage in general, so I'd advise taking a chance with Flogsta if that's the only option.

      Delete
  3. Thank you! But how does it works? I don't understand the numeration's system. The first room for the first floor is 101, isn't it? And then... ?

    I have a room in Flogsta, but there's anything else to choose... But I'm afraid for the noise if my room is next to the room, and dirty...

    Thank you for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember exactly how the other half of the corridor's numeration system worked. But there's twelve rooms per half-corridor... the higher-numbered half is the floor number plus 31 through 42, and I think the lower-numbered half is the floor number plus 11 through 22, although it might be 1 through 12. Also, the first floor is one floor above the ground floor. The ground floor has laundry, trash, and various small businesses, depending on the building, but I don't know of any numbering scheme for that floor.

      The noise insulation is decent, but if you do get a rowdy corridor, earplugs might be necessary - I'm not sure where to get them, but I'd check Clas Ohlson and possibly IKEA. Also, the parties tend to concentrate on the weekends and at Valborg (a holiday in April), so during the week it probably won't be too bad.

      Cleanliness also really depends on the corridor... Flogsta does have someone come in weekly to clean the common areas and kitchen, but he doesn't get everything perfectly clean - he doesn't wash dishes, for example. Good luck with the corridor you get!

      Delete