Weekday lunch at Vastgöta

Last Friday, February 11th, I had class all day, at Pollacksbacken.  It's too far to make a round trip to Flogsta from Pollacksbacken in 75 minutes, at least if you're going to eat anything at Flogsta, so that necessitated getting lunch at Pollacksbacken.  This was actually the third time this had occured, but the previous two times I had packed a lunch.  Last Friday I didn't get up early enough to do so, so a quest was on to find somewhere to eat.  I remembered that my international buddy had recommended Vastgöta Nation's lunch as a good place to eat on weekdays, so I took bus 20 there.  Almost at least - I went one stop too far, but was able to find my way back easily enough.

It was a good choice.  The lunch is only 35 kronor (about five dollars), and included a good helping of soup, some tasty bread, and a side dish, which I believe was red cabbage and onions on Friday.  The soup was a carrot soup, and was appetizing as well, and the whole lunch was vegetarian.  There was a decent crowd there, perhaps 2-3 dozen students at any one time, and there seemed to be a good stock of foodstuffs - there was no wait for the food, which was important with class at 1:15.

The settings was also interesting - it was in the room to the right of the entryway of Vastgöta's building, which I'd been through once before, but had never really looked at.  Along the walls were about a dozen paintings, all of towns from the Vastgöta region.  Nearly all of them featured a cathedral not unlike the one in Uppsala stylistically.  The building has belonged to Vastgöta since the early 1800s, and I would guess that the paintings have been there for most of that time.  The architecture in the room was excellent as well, which is not surprising considering I was at Vastgöta Nation.  In my estimation, Vastgöta has the best building architecturally, although some say Norrlands does.  I shall have to photograph it.

The lunch expedition was a success, and I returned a partial minute late only because the bus was running behind schedule due to the new snowfall.  With better road conditions, it certainly would be possible to go to Vastgöta for lunch and return on time.  I recommend going there at least once as an exchange student to try it out, and may well return myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment