Julmust

Julmust is a Swedish soft drink, traditionally consumed around Christmas ('jul' meaning 'Christmas' in Swedish).  My local ICA still had some, so I bought a bottle.

Those of you who know me will know that I usually dislike soft drinks, in no small part due to the carbonation, with rare exceptions such as Fitz's cream soda in St. Louis.  Well, pleasingly, Julmust was another exception.  It's not dissimilar to a cola, but is sweeter and more of its kick is from flavorings and spices than carbonation.  I might actually buy another.

But it won't be long before Julmust disappears from shelves, and is replaced by påskmust, for Easter.  Påskmust and Julmust are exactly the same, but with different labels (påsk meaning Easter in Swedish).  Even so, Julmust is by far the most popular, with three-quarters of all Julmust (including Påskmust) being sold in December, and Julmust being the most popular soft drink in Sweden in December (sorry, Coca-Cola).  So perhaps I should stock up soon if I still want to have some in May or June.

No comments:

Post a Comment